Today I'm doing a book review on The Mermaid's Mirror by L.K. Madigan. Hope you enjoy!
The Mermaid's Mirror kinda has two parts, so I'll cover the first part first. Selena Whittaker (Lena) is just your average high schooler, with a best friend, a boyfriend, and a little brother. Her dad and stepmom are the normal, really supportive parents which is nice because in lots of books the parents are almost never there :) Lena's dream is to become a surfer, but since her dad had a really bad surfing accident he doesn't want her to. So of course, she takes surfing lessons behind his back...and then ends up trying to surf the most dangerous surf spot near her: Magic Crescent Cove.
And this is all because of the fact that she saw a mermaid there.
So when she almost drowns but the mermaid rescues her and gives her a key, she must find what the key unlocks! And what fun would the story be without her finding the chest that the key fits, right?
So this transitions into part two, where her dad explains that he fell in love with the mermaid sixteen years ago, but she got charmed into forgetting everything and had to go back to the sea! And when Lena finds out that her real mother, the mermaid, is waiting for her at Magic's, she leaves to live beneath the sea...
This is where the real fun begins!
But I have a bad habit of spoiling things for people by giving away too much, so you'll have to read it for yourself to find out the end.
It was a really good book, even on the fourth time around (I think I read it three times back in October/November) and since it involves awesomeness and fantasy (surfing, the beach, cute little brothers, mermaids) it gets a GREAT overall rating!! Please read it--admittedly not a "guy" book, but really really good!!
Bottom Line: YES, I would recommend this to a friend! ☺
Happy Homeschooling!

No comments:
Post a Comment